Tuesday 1 February 2011

Young professionals.


My friends Sophie, Katharina and I have started a swimming group. A very informal one. I am very excited about it. The downside is: we don't train together. That's because we live in different cities. I thought about our swimming group and how it's not working out and then it dawned on me: incidentally, and just by the way, the three of us have become so-called "young professionals". Who would have thought? Not me. 2 years ago we were all happily and idly (well, sometimes) living the student life in Berlin, wondering what we'd do with our lives. And now we are all three young professionals, with different jobs in different cities, and our personal lives to balance. But we can still swim together. If we all enter the water in Berlin, Hamburg and Lombok, respectively, at the same time, well, that would constitute a swimming group I think.

I don't know if our trainings are synced exactly like clockwork yet. When I swim here in the afternoons, Sophie and Katharina would have to swim in the early mornings for us to be swimming “together”. Morning swims are not for the light-hearted. Sophie and I both missed our new year's morning swim, which was due to start around 10 am on a Sunday of this new year I think. The upside about training apart is that no-one has to wait for the other at the street-corner and wonder “will they show up?”

When I swam my 10k last weekend I kept having to think about the rotation of the Earth, and there I was, the first of our swimming group in the water that day (which was a beautiful and warm day in Lombok), depositing the first laps into the bank. In the middle of my swim, some time in the afternoon, I was wondering if Sophie and Katharina were finally in the water too.


No comments:

Post a Comment