Monday 31 January 2011

Changing sides


I live in an imaginary world sometimes. A world in which I am a “bloke” or “fella”. That world also includes watching ball-games like Rugby or NFL football, the rules of which, I dare admit, I'm not entirely acquainted with. But I just love to pop open a can of beer, lean back, and enjoy an evening of “Monday Night Football”. There are also “Thursday Night Football” and “Sunday Night Football”, and probably many more. Maybe there is NFL football every day of the week?

Because I don't entirely understand the rules and strategies in rugby and American football, I do get distracted and sometimes begin cooking vegetables while a game is on. But the game carries on in the background and I'm still tuned in to the TV commentators exclaiming things like “now we'll have a scrummage”, or “2nd and 9” or “1st down”. What does that mean? I'll understand it eventually I'm sure.

A common criticism of the game of American football is that it lacks fluidity. And it does. But I've got used to it, it's a strategic game, and it's physical. I prefer the rawness and nakedness of Rugby over American football though. I do wonder how the Rugby players manage without the helmets and pads they use im American football?

But they're all equally tough I'm sure. In rugby and NFL, the players don't throw themselves to the ground and fake injuries like the phony Italian soccer players. If they get tackled hard, they just get up and play on. The players' individuality is made up less of vanity, good looks and standing out alone in the team than manliness and sportsmanship. One is spared many of the antics in these sports that have become so famous in soccer. Neither do Rugby players, for instance, cuss at the referee. They say that rugby is a game for barbarians played by gentlemen. Football is a game for gentlemen played by barbarians.

I do still enjoy watching soccer/European football too, but I don't follow any league in particular. And in spite of the splendid World Cup performance by the German team, I don't feel so attached to soccer anymore.

Because of the BBC broadcasts and their endless tirades in sports hour about what Rooney said, and Sir Alex Ferguson replied, and what have you, I'm still familiar with the current items in Premier League football. When I did my short stint in Ethiopia, that was strongly recommended. I found, it was a good way to start a conversation there. Everyone in Ethiopia seemed really tuned into Premier League football and followed one of the top 4 English teams closely. The Premier League has really successfully marketed themselves around the world. But not so much here in Indonesia, at least not in Lombok. There's no craze for it here. I find that Indonesians are moderate in most things in life, so too in their appreciation of soccer.

Bought Nick Hornby's “Fever Pitch” - hear it's a good read and am looking forward to it, even in a year without a major summer football event..

PS I occasionally watch NHL icehockey games, when I want to be a Canadian chap, but NHL is harder to catch down here. And somehow I've had my chance at being a Canadian chap, and I didn't fare well in the rink.

No comments:

Post a Comment