Monday 2 January 2012

Selamat Tahun Baru 2012 Everybody


Spent New Year's on Gilli T.
Gilli T was supposed to have the biggest party ANYWHERE in Lombok. It was not big. I didn't mind.
We strolled back and forth on a 200m stretch between a few bars and warungs, and then i called it a night for myself.
The best part was going to sleep in the wee hours of the morning, finally, on the beach. It drizzled slightly through the night and there was a songbird over my head, so i chanegd spots a few times in the night. The next morning, I woke up alone and found a rainbow over the ocean and Bali somwhere in the distance. A few other early birds on Gilli T were up and away strolling around the beach and we all greeted each other with friendly smiles. Indonesians are such kind people.

My highlights for 2011?
- First, my sis' wedding party, with alomst my whole family in attendance. My uncles and aunts stole the show a little bit, but that was to be expected (I think!?!). Still can't wait to see the dollar-bill-dance pics. Joerg looked so instantly smooth and shockingly at ease, it seems he must have practiced a lifetime for it. Who had the camera? Or was everyone just too enthralled in the dance to remember to catch the moment on film? I never quite knew family gatherings can be so much fun.
- Tobogganing in the Czech Republic with my Uni friends in early January 2011. A big WIHA!!!
- Learning to windsurf. I've had an appetite for windsurfing ever since my class did a summer school-trip from Bonn to Bodensee in 10th grade. I learned the basics then, but never learned how to use a harness or get into footstraps which are prerequisites for planing. I've waited 10 years since then and for the opportunity to take up windsurfing properly. In 2011 I am glad I finally got the chance. It's one of the greatest fun sports in the world. I now own 2 boards and 3 sails. My smaller board is a Falcon 2011 with 111 Liters and my other board is a Lorch 142L wood edition. The Falcon has a disgustingly fast acceleration. It goes from 0 to 40 km/h in a few seconds when the right gust hits you. The first times I experienced that holding on to the sail was literally all i could do. I came away from many of my early sessions with bruises and blisters, and generally still feel hopelessly clumsy and useless on the water, and very much desperate to finally nail a carve jibe. But, no, I'm not frustrated yet. 2012 will hopefully have more windsurfing in store and I'm absolutely stoked. Windsurf til ya drop! I'll post some more about this soon.

Those were my highlights.
Wish y'all the best, wherever you are and whatever you did. I won't be mad at you if you send me some parcels with chocolate, yerba maté or other goodies. What? No, nothing, just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment