Saturday 8 May 2010

I was not born in the Alps...




...And it ain't my fault I wasn't born a third to the two über-human Huber brothers, who count among the fastest mountain-climbers in the world.

Proof I would not be the third-wheel though:

My ascension of Mount Batur in Bali took a mere 2 hours from the base camp. My buddies on this one were Patrick and Kai. We ran all the way. Uphill.

This was followed by steamed eggs and bananas. Steamed with geothermic heat, mind you. Breakfast for champions, right there.

Last week we ran up Mount Rinjani. I don’t know how fast we were, but we were greeted at the crater rim with a volcanic fanfare. The funny thing is we saw the fumes rising long before we heard the eruption. One would expect to hear an eruption first and then see the ashes blow, right or not?

From Rinjani (Lombok) you can see all the way to Bali (west) and Flores (east). The morning sky, the colours and the 360° view over the clouds were beautiful. For a minute there I made new career plans to become a Lufthansa pilot.

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures....but a small comment I have to drop: In the east you see Sumbawa. I like you Blog! Cheers Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes thank you for that Christian!
    will make the correction shortly...
    silly me

    ReplyDelete